Saturday, November 28, 2009

Baking Day 2009

This may look like a lot (and it is), but it isn't all of it! I couldn't fit six other things!
Yesterday I spent the day with the other Keith girls, mixing, measuring, baking, pulling cream candy, chopping, icing, and sprinkling delicious candies and cookies. I think we have been doing this for about 6 years, and it has become one of my favorite days of the year. It is wonderful to spend so much time in one place with my mother-in-law and two sister-in-laws. Although it is a long, hard, tiring day, we still manage to laugh, talk a lot, and make a mess!

The List!!

This year we added several new recipes to our old favorites. I think there were around 26 candies and cookies total. My favorites are cream candy, toffee, and chocolate chip turtle bars.

Jackie helped set the Christmas mood by playing Christmas music on the record player.

Austin was helping me mix when cousin Caleb decided he should be wearing goggles. Then, they finished by mixing together. Austin helped several times throughout the day. He loves to help me cook.

Maggie took advantage of the free time (with little supervision) to draw... on her face.

The famous pulled cream candy!
This is an adventure every year... as well as a must. We haven't perfected the technique yet, but it (usually) turns out, although we swear it's not going to. This year it took Amy watching the pot for about three hours before it reached the right temperature. Usually we cook it on too high of heat and it boils over, so this year we cooked it on a lower temp. Amy wasn't aware when she started that she'd be spending the next three hours on a stool watching the pot! We transfer it to a marble slab to cool, and then we pull. We pull and we pull, until we think it's about to cream. This is a guess every year. It may not be pretty enough to sell, but I love it anyway!!


We also made sugar cookies for the kids to decorate. Austin and Matthew dumped enough sprinkles on each cookie to decorate at least five! We let them do it on their own though, and they had fun.

Aprile's friend stopped by right in time to help the kids decorate!


Niece and Nephew ATTACK! Aunt Aprile hasn't had quite enough kid time!

4 comments:

  1. Everything looks wonder, I'm so glad you are a good BAKER. I so hungry now and mom is not cooking for me tonight, she's cooking for tomorrow. PS, bring me something to church to have with my coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, while I was cooking for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, dad posted the above comment!!! I did not see it first to correct the typos.....I can't say anything to him as I am so happy he made a comment!!! I do agree with him, everything does look "wonder"....and even WONDERFUL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky, I just love to see and hear about your baking day every year!! This sounds like a blast!! Every year I decide I want to do this for my girls, and every year I never find a day to do it!! I will try again this year to find a day when we can get together at least for a few hours to make cookies and candies to share. I absolutely LOVE cream candy but I have never made it. I'm not brave enough to try it without someone who has at least some idea of what to do!! But there are a lot of other goodies we can try -- we'll just have to eat the flops!! Such fun!!! Blessings on you and your precious family throughout the Christmas season! See you on the 18th if not before!! Love to you all!!

    ReplyDelete