Wednesday, August 25, 2010

First Days of School

The days are long. The days are packed. The days are exhausting. Our five year olds love kindergarten, but after a day of sitting and listening (with some play time too I’m sure), when they get home, they are ready to go. They wrestle, run, and scream. After my first block plan, I’m on the go until the boys arrive in my classroom at 3:05. School lets out at 3:10. I don’t get a break during the day to get anything done, and then two five year old boys show up. I try to control (not getting much school stuff accomplished) until we go get Maggie and then pick up Jason (we’ve all been car pooling). We go straight to soccer, tee-ball, or dance. We eat, we clean, bathe, read and put to bed. Then, go to the grocery, do laundry, or do dishes. From 5:30am until 11:30pm we’re on the go. Neither one of us really feel like we get any time to ourselves (let alone with each other). Life is just hard right now. We’re okay. We’re doing things the kids enjoy. We’re slowly getting things done around the house. But, I just wish we had some time to slow down and relax a little. I’m afraid life is passing by and we’re just rushing through it trying to make it until we crash in bed at night.
Maggie likes going to Ms. Judy’s house. She is learning a lot, and having fun with her friends. She just started ballet and loves it! She wants to go everyday. I think she looks precious in her leotard, and the teacher said she was happy and did everything!
Matthew enjoys school, especially the playground and the bus. However, we have already started to get notes from the teacher in regards to his listening, attention, and following directions. He has already lost part of recess twice this week (and it’s Wednesday). I hope to have a meeting soon and start some interventions. We have always noted his attention span and processing. I’d like to try several things before we look into testing/ medication. He enjoys soccer and is good at it. His first game is Saturday.
Austin is doing great. He too loves the playground and school bus. He tells me a little more about his day than Matthew. Hopefully I’ll get a few more details when Maggie goes to kindergarten! He received a recognition slip last week for being considerate of others. He was SO proud of it! He enjoys all the art projects he gets to do in school. He has started fall tee-ball and loves every moment. His first game is Sunday. It should be wonderful practice for him because he is one of the few experienced players on his team.

First Day of Kindergarten!


After the First Day of Kindergarten!


Carter Caves last weekend with Daddy, Pap, Uncle Jason, and Thomas

My Little Ballerina!

Showing her Butterfly stamp after Class

3 comments:

  1. Becky,

    The next time I am in town I will have to drop of some dance stuff for you (shoes, tights, etc). We tried it with Lorelei and she was not a fan. Alex is getting ready to start soccer too...we can't wait. We miss seeing everyone. I hope you all are enjoying Fall Ball...Go Mets :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may be hard to imagine, but they will be grown before you blink. Dad and I know how hard your life is these days and with us both working, I just hate that we aren't more help. When you can, don't feel bad saying no to things you can miss. People that love you, will forgive you for not showing up or helping out. This may not be the time to give service to others, as much as rest when you can! Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you posted pictures of Maggie doing ballet!!! I did ballet for 8 years and LOVED it! She is too precious in all her ballet clothes! Thanks for posting about the boys first days of school even though you are so busy! I was really eager to hear how they did. Let me know if you need any help in finding interventions for matthew. I am sure his teacher will be of great help when you talk to her but also ask her for things that you can do at school and at home with him. Being able to carry things over and reinforcing those behaviors and practices at home doing the same thing at school will really help him get into the groove and know what the expected behavior is of him concerning his attention.

    ReplyDelete