Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Run, Jump, and Roll

Today we started gymnastics! The boys did great and had a ball! The boys were too young for T-ball this spring, so we decided gymnastics would be something fun for them to try. We plan on doing soccer in the fall. Has anyone done LYSA? Let me know what you think. I saw today that registration for 4 year olds starts soon. Anyways... We thought gymnastics would be good for their balance, strength, and coordination. Austin was a little timid, but he will get more comfortable as the weeks go by. Matthew was a monkey from the start! He did great! He wasn't the best listener, but that's no surprise! While Miss Kristie explained the stations, Matthew was busy jumping on the trampoline behind him, walking on the balance beam, or watching the big girls flip. We talked about it at the end. It was hard for me to be up above them sitting at the observation deck. I felt like Austin would have done more and Matthew would have sat still if I'd been there. I guess that's why they send the parents upstairs!
Stretching
They did a table, a bridge, and various other stretches. We'll have to work on flexibility at home!
Miss Kristie set up little stations. After explaining them, the kids went round and round. My boys liked to pick out one thing and do it several times before moving on. Not exactly following the directions, but they're 4!


I think this was Austin's favorite station.

Walking sideways on the balance beam.


Matthew did great on the bars... of course the teacher called this move "Spiderman." Next he did a forward flip off. Austin wouldn't even try this station!

The boys hopped down the trampoline, jumped in the foam pit, and ran on the grey mat back. After class I asked them what they enjoyed the most, and Matthew said jumping on the trampoline and Austin said running fast. This was the last thing they did, so it ended the class well.
When I put Matthew to bed tonight he asked if we could go back to gymnastics tomorrow. I told him we will go every Wednesday. He said, "But it's not far from our house." Although that's true, once a week is all we can afford! I'm trying to talk Jason into letting Maggie and I do the Parents'n Tots class!

3 comments:

  1. Well, it's late and we plan on being on the road early, but I had to check out my kids! Now, dad has a tear in his eye 'cause he wants to give Maggie a "fist bump". She sure looks too big painting...look at that sweet face! I love the boys at gymnastics...I'm going next Wed!!! See you guys Saturday...love nana & pap

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun! I am Third started registration yesterday. I can forward you the website if you want. We have been very happy with that league. Very laid back and a Christian atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karissa was in LYSA and it's a good thing to be in. She played (I use that loosely because she picked grass and ran from the ball) when she was 4 and we quickly found out that it wasn't her sport. I say put them in it in the fall, but be prepared to sit in the cold!

    Karissa also did gymnastics at the age of 18 months (she is my first and I had her try everything at a young age, not a good idea and I haven't done that to Katie!!) she loved the trampoline was her favorite and she didn't listen too well either and they made her (us- I might add) sit in timeout. We didn't sign up again- I was so embarassed, but looking back she wasn't even 2 yet!

    Have fun with whatever you decide!! I do know the church soccor league is a good one too.

    ReplyDelete