Thursday, November 25, 2010

My First Turkey!

I roasted my first Turkey!! A very well documented experience….

First, I made a turkey brine (with some help from Williams Sonoma) I put my 20 lb turkey in an oven bag and poured the brine in.


I set my alarm for 2am and turned it over to soak all sides. At 5:30 I woke up to wash it off and begin the roast. That's when the mess occurred.......

As I lifted the turkey out of the pan, the bag burst and 2 gallons of nasty turkey juice and brine splashed everywhere. My clothes were drenched and the counter, floor, etc was covered! Luckily it was early, so I had plenty of time to clean it all up.

My turkey and ham sitting snug in the oven.

After 5 1/2 hours of roasting


I even learned how to carve!

The end result was moist and delicious!
I hosted Baker Thanksgiving this year. We traditionally celebrate the Sunday before. Everyone was able to come except for one key person.... my granny. She is in the hospital now and will be having surgery tomorrow. Please keep her in your prayers.

2 comments:

  1. Great photos of your first BIG turkey! Austin was so amazed at how big it was....I guess he was thinking about the size of a chicken! The turkey really was delicious and moist. Thanks for hosting us Becky and Jason (I know it takes two). Plus, your tree and wreath are just beautiful. My wreaths are too full, after looking at yours, I think I made my loops too close. I like the fact yours has a "hole" in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that the turkey turned out great! I would have been so nervous! Sounds like everything went well...except for the spill. But, the turkey was great - that's the most important part!

    ReplyDelete