Monday, August 17, 2009

IT is a radical commitment to a radical generosity.

"The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love"...Gal. 5:6

Wow! What a wonderful challenge is before us! Jon sent 10,000+ people out to love and serve our city. I can’t even begin to explain how moved, excited, and ready I am to take on his challenge. Jason and I have been in prayer, and we feel this challenge is going to be a priority for our family. We are challenging ourselves to do one act of service or express love in one way each week.

Immediately after service Sunday we went to Wal-mart. The boys picked out a toy and I picked one out for Maggie. I remember going downtown with Brewster every summer to pass out VBS flyers around Johnson Elementary. I thought this would be the perfect place for the kids to give away their toys because I remember kids out everywhere. We started on 2nd Street, then 3rd Street, 4th Street, but no kids. Martin Luther King Street, Race Street, and no kids. On to Newtown Pike and Georgetown St. Douglas Park. No kids. At this point the boys are getting upset because they don’t see any kids, I was very hungry, I needed to potty, and Jason was getting tired of driving around. We ended up on New Circle. We questioned heading home and trying this again. I was devastated. I just knew we were supposed to do it right then. We got off on Versailles Rd and headed to Cardinal Valley Park…. No kids! We turned around and headed to a Hispanic grocery and restaurant parking lot. There, we parked and unloaded all three kids with gifts in hand. We immediately spotted two women and a little boy. We walked up to them and handed the little boy the first toy. We quickly found a little girl and another boy. I was able to communicate clearly with the children and their parents to give them a quick greeting and short conversation. As we walked back to the car Jason said, “Wow. That is so cool that you can do that. We were meant to be here all along.”

We prayed as a family after leaving Wal-Mart for the kids we would meet, and we prayed after leaving them for the fun they would have with their new toys.
While shopping in Wal-mart we saw two other families expressing their faith through love. Mom and dad were even able to Pay it forward after a boy on a bike paid for their meal at Sonic. Can you imagine if this is what we do, and what we see others doing on a daily basis? IT can change Lexington… IT is changing Lexington.

3 comments:

  1. I know Brewster would be happy with the legacy he has left for your family and countless others...can you only leave a "legacy" when you die??? I guess I mean by his ministry to youth, the youth are now ministering others...on and on it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, this just gives me chills!! I just shared your blog with all my family - even Cam in Oklahoma City! What an impact this will make on Lexington and the surrounding communities!!! I am blessed just hearing about it. Bless you and Jason for your commitment to the Lord and to rearing your children in the fear and admonition of the Lord and in His service!! Whew! Makes me want to shout!! Hallelujah to the Lamb!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know I had the same idea so the girls went and picked out toys and I headed to 3 hospitals and got "turned down". I spent 4 hours "looking" for children to give the gifts too and found none. I drove downtown Lex and Nicholasville and I even went by a park and no one was playing. The girls and I left feeling defeated. We decided then that maybe this wasn't the challenge for us so we then baked cookies for the fire department and sheriffs department in Nicholasville. The one officer wanted to know if we went to SCC and he said his wife was bugging him for ideas too.
    Glad your kids "found" someone, the only lesson my girls learned that day was you just can't give something away. It was sad to see Katie cry when we left Shriners and we still had the toy.

    ReplyDelete