Sunday, August 30, 2009

Mums and more

Well, I should probably refer you to my mom's blog for our updates! I can't believe it has been two weeks since my last post. Here are a few thoughts going through my head and what's going on with the kids.

I'll start with school. Last week went much better with the new schedule. I still am having a hard time with the five period day. It's not that I don't like it, it's just different and feels longer. After third block, I really want there to only be one block left, however, there are two! My class sizes are a bit smaller. My room looks better than it ever has, and that makes me feel better too. The best part of the day comes at the end when I go to get Maggie. Maybe I'll record it on day. As soon as Maggie sees me, she yells, "MOMMY!!" and runs to me as fast as she can. Jessica and I laugh everyday.

Jason and I are doing great with our Couch to 10 K Challenge. Tomorrow starts week five. The hardest part is finding time every night for us to run separately. This will be harder as the length of the run gets longer. Of course we prefer to run together, but that requires someone to watch the kids (thanks mom and dad). Here is the week five plan:
Warm Up! Then jog 2.5 miles 4 to 6 days.
This is my favorite time of year. I love this weather, the festivals, mums, Gatlinburg, orchards, hay rides, caramel apples, bean soup, Halloween costumes, and everything pumpkin. Mom and I went last Sunday to a lady's house on Brannon Road close to church. She has a sign out front that says, "Hardy Mums." You drive around back to her beautiful field of mums. She gives you plastic grocery bags to lay beside the mums. She digs them up and puts them in the bag for you. They vary in size and color. The small ones are $2 and all the rest are $4 ($3.50 if you buy 10). We got some huge, beautiful mums for $3.50 each!

A trunk full of mums... without too many blooms!

This is a planter at Amy's house. Mom and I planted a few at her house while she was away for the weekend.


I planted three in a bed in my back yard.

This year we attended Picnic with the Pops for the 9th year. This is one of my favorite traditions! In college I worked in the book store. The store manager is Kay Blevins, Don Blevins' wife (retired county clerk). She invited Jason and I my junior year in college along with another couple from the store. We sit at the same table every year. We now know their friends and look forward to it each August. I always bring an appetizer, and Kay makes a beef tenderloin that is WONDERFUL! She also brings a homemade cheesecake, strawberries, and whipped cream. YUM!

Don and Kay Blevins

This year I made Rosemary Cheese with Fig Preserves. It was great! Everyone commented on it all night, and it was completely eaten! Here is the recipe:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (3-ounce) log goat cheese, softened
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
3/4 cup fig preserves
Garnish: fresh rosemary sprigs
Crackers, toasted French bread slices, or bagel chips

Process first 5 ingredients in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
Spoon cheese mixture into a lightly greased 1 1/2-cup mold lined with plastic wrap. Cover and chill 2 hours.
Invert chilled cheese mixture onto a serving dish; discard plastic wrap. Spoon fig preserves over cheese. Garnish, if desired. Serve with crackers, toasted French bread slices, or bagel chips.

1 comment:

  1. These pictures of Don, Kay and you are great. The recipe sounds awesome...I can't wait until you make it for us at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete