Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Dinner with Matthew


Building a checker tower

Reading a book in Spanish and English


It’s COLD!! Tina had Matthew all bundled up again in his hat and coat. He was ready to go. He smiled real big when I walked in the door. It sure made me feel like he was really looking forward to our visit. I hope so. We were. It didn’t take him long at all this time to warm up. From the moment we put him in the car Austin and Matthew laughed, talked, and sang. They held hands most of the way. They were both so excited to be together. They are able to carry on a conversation between each other very well; however, Austin is trying to be a little bossy. Several times tonight I feel like I saw a little jealousy in Austin. At one point mom was paying a lot of attention to Matthew and she commented on his hat. I could tell that Austin had been watching her love on Matthew. He said (with his finger in the air), “Nana, you do not say that to Matthew. You do not say that you like his hat. I do not like Matthew’s hat.” I’m sure this is normal; I just need to learn how to handle it. I was upset that Austin felt that way, but I also didn’t want Matthew to get his feelings hurt.
The original plan was to go to Chick-Fil-A so the boys could eat and play, but we ended up celebrating my Granny’s birthday at Cracker Barrel with my dad’s side of the family. Others at the table may feel differently, but I don’t think it could have gone better. They boy’s ate well, played the golf tee game at the table, played checkers by the fire, talked with family, and read a book. Towards the end they got a little active, but that is to be expected. Austin reached for the tee game and as he pulled it over to him he looked around and immediately found another one for Matthew, and said “One for me, and one for Matthew.”
On the way home we talked a lot about Saturday. The boys are very excited about staying the night. We are ready for that too. We are enjoying getting to know him. Matthew wants to go to church so he can dance. He remembers doing that last time we took him to church.
After dropping Matthew off, Austin started asking about heaven and Jesus. He asked where heaven is in the sky, if there in only one God, and how Jesus is in heaven and down here too. Lastly, he asked why Katie is in heaven with Jesus. We told him because he wanted her home with him. We assured him that she is playing and having a big time with Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. Around the checker table when they "showed attitude" (is that what it's called now?) I about lol....so funny. Who taught who that???? The first photo of Matthew was that...arms crossed, acting all "tough guy"...he sure was proud of his new shoes! He showed them to me first thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you guys had a great time. Yes jealousy will be normal for now but it will get better as Austin gets use to him being around more. I'm sure you're doing just fine with it.

    ReplyDelete