Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Making the Most of our Last Day in Madrid


We started our day this morning with a bus tour of Madrid. Our first stop was the Bull Ring. We weren't able to see a bull fight (not that I want to), but the stadium was very beautiful to see. It was a sunny day today. Great for all the walking we did.

The Botin Restaurant is the oldest continuously served restaurant in the world. Yes, today we ate at the OLDEST restaurant in the WORLD! It opened in 1725...1725!!!!! We had a three course meal...gazpacho soup, roast suckling pig, and ice cream. It was incredible. It was quite expensive, so only four students, Angie (tour manager), Thomas, Jason, and I ate there. We really had a hard time deciding if we should splurge, but how often do you get the chance to eat in the oldest restaurant in the world? I'm glad we did. The roasted suckling pig melted in my mouth. I'd never eaten gazpacho soup before. I'm glad I had the opportunity because it is a Spanish specialty. It was delicious.
Suckling pigs getting ready for the fire oven
Gazpacho (cold vegetable soup)

Group photo in front of the Royal Palace in Madrid

Jason and I enjoyed our last cafe con leche tonight sitting outside in the Plaza Mayor.
Austin, mommy and daddy are so happy you are having fun playing in the waves and taking naps with pap. We will call you as soon as we land in Philadelphia. Mommy thinks it should be around 3:00. If you're sleeping, I'll talk to nana and call you back later. LOVE YOU! Pray for safe flights.


1 comment:

  1. You know I love the photo best of you in front of the purple petunias...at least I think they look like petunias....speaking of napping, he has gone down everyday without any fuss. Actually, he can't wait to nap! He sits there eating lunch, dropping. He loved "Bubble Gumps" last night and was SO GOOD there. He played in the play area near the pier and even walked out on the beach with "Miss Olivia"...glad you are home!

    ReplyDelete