Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Estamos en Madrid

I am SOOOO excited to have a better Internet connection!!! The connection at the last place was terrible! That's why I wasn't able to blog often or add pictures. I just added a few pictures to the post "Estamos en Salamanca."
The Lord heard our prayers! I was in so much pain last night I actually went to the hospital in Spain, and today its almost nothing! It hurts off and on, but I was able to do everything today... even climb the tower in the castle!!!! That was probably a stupid decision, but I really wanted to.
We have had an exhausting day. It has been wonderful, but very hard. We left Salamanca and went to Segovia. In Segovia we saw the Roman Aqueducts and el Alcázar. El Alcázar is the castle Cinderella’s castle at Disney is modeled after. It was gorgeous. Then, we grabbed a quick lunch (at it in the bus) and headed to el Escorial. El Escorial was about 45 minutes from Segovia. This Palace was built for King Felipe II. There is a mausoleum of kings and queens lasting through 500 years of history. It was amazing. After el Escorial, we visited The Valley of the Fallen. It was supposed to be a mausoleum to commemorate the fallen soldiers of the Civil War, but in reality it is a monument/Cathedral where Franco, dictator of Spain, is buried. Finally, we arrived in Madrid! LONG DAY! I told you it would have been terrible to have a hurt ankle! We are resting now and will go to dinner at 8:00.
I am learning so much about Spain, and visiting incredible places. We are enjoying our time together. I keep watching video on the camera of the kids. I miss them so much. I love being here, but can’t wait to start living as a family of five when we return.

Castle in Segovia (Back view)

Roman Aqueducts in Segovia

El Escorial (King Felipe II's Palace)

View from Valley of the Fallen

Valley of the Fallen (Franco's tomb)

2 comments:

  1. What did I miss about your injury? I will go back to reread a previous entry, but I didn't know your ankle was hurt. I am very, very thankful it is better. As you said, go easy on it...keep the tylenol handy for pain and swelling. What did you do to hurt it? This is a very cool, cloudy day from start to finish. It's been YEARS since the weather has been this bad (so far)...Austin has been great. He does miss you and talks nonstop about Matthew and Maggie (sorry mom & dad). He misses you too..I just don't talk too much about you b/c I don't want tears! Hopefully the weather will improve and we can swim tomorrow. He played in the sand this morning about 30 minutes then we got too cold to stay out. He loved running in the water/waves even though it was chilly! He ate all his mini corn dogs for lunch and asked for more. He is eating great. Take care and I'll check back later. Love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I am so glad to hear your ankle is doing better. I am glad I read this post at the same time as the other and you are okay. Having a sore ankle for the rest of your trip would have been a real bummer. You and Jason look so happy and relaxed in your pictures. I am not liking being on break and not having you here... but, I am getting super excited about summer!!! Also, I am loving reading all about your trip. Keep the postings coming!
    Last thing... Ellie has been worried sick about your mail and why I have it. We have tried and tried to explain, but she just doesn't get it. She told Danny it was really mean of me to keep taking it from you! :)

    ReplyDelete