Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Smooth sailing....

Silly me I thought, today is humpday, should be smooth sailing. Maggie sounded better and the kids only needed to make it through two more days. It is a common mistake I make. I accepted a job at work yesterday and began to shadow the person who is leaving first thing this morning. The job has a lot of new things to do and I only have two weeks to learn everything I can about it before it is up to me to perform it myself. About 3:45 Tots Landing called me to say that Matthew had a fever and was laying down. It was a low grade fever but of course they need me to check it out before he returns to Tots. I was wrapped up in something and couldn't really leave so being the sometimes selfish parent that I am I didn't leave work until about 5:00. Any other time it would have been easier to leave but not today.

The worst part is that the boys had to miss T-Ball practice this afternoon. I didn't really have anyone to call (not to mention phone numbers) who would be able to watch a sick child. Of course, anyone with children of their own weren't on my list. I didn't want anyone else to be at risk of getting sick. I did try to catch Emily and Nathan to see if they would mind taking Austin with them to T-Ball but I didn't see them at home and I don't have their number. Another thing that Becky is good at. Staying in touch with people and knowing their phone numbers. Thankfully I have made arrangements for the kids tomorrow. I am grateful for my fathers help. Two more days. We are waiting patiently. For your peace Becky the kids are bathed books are read and all are sound asleep. After being kicked all last night by your first born I am looking forward to sleep myself.

3 comments:

  1. They will miss practices from time to time and it sounds like you were in pretty deep. Hope Matthew gets better and this stays "contained"....it won't be as long now as it has been. Are you thinking you may need a trip??

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have called me. We could have worked something out. I would have taken Austin to practice, came to get Maggie, sat with Matthew while you went to practice... something! If you need me tomorrow evening, just call. I think we will be home most of the evening and I will help however I can. I have certainly had to call on you guys more than once! Congratulations on the job! Wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason, your blog reports this week have been a complete mixture of entertainment, sweetness, sadness, wonderfulness and honesty and while reading I have gone from smiles to almost laughter to tears and then smiles again. Your experience this week has been quite an undertaking and it has been very insightful to hear your side of taking care of three children alone. I wrote Becky before she left and would have been glad to come over one evening to help out but you've gotten through humpday now and should be very, very proud of yourself and all you've accomplished this week. The kids will not remember what they ate, how they dressed, and whether or not they even had baths. They will only remember spending precious time with Daddy, feeling love, reading books and missing Mommy. I know Becky will be equally as proud. Thank you Jason for being a wonderful role model for Matthew, Austin and Maggie and I feel so very lucky and blessed by both you and Becky... words cannot convey my gratefulness. I am/have been praying for Becky while on her trip and especially for her safe return. Becky, I've loved seeing the sites you and your students are enjoying and praying for your safe return. Saturday will bring so much happiness remembering (because of this blog) and also being able to share and follow along with Matthew's journey over this last year. What joy that brings me! It will also be bittersweet because this would have been Katie's fourth birthday and although I'm continuing to mourn for her, I also realize and are reminded of the many, many blessings that have been given to me and of the sacrifice you and Jason made so that Matthew could/would become a very special member of your family and home. For that I thank you and am grateful! Love Kimmie

    ReplyDelete